Thursday, December 5, 2013

This week I photographed my work. It's not my favorite thing to do, but I know I ought to practice and get better at it, since I won't always have a good scanner near me.
I played around with different monster types- humanoid, beastly... I tried doing different styles and having different influences from each one.
The top left figure is my favorite one on this page. Inspired by Junji Ito's "Uzumaki", a horror manga about a town obsessed with spirals. I love the look of my yellow and black mircrons, but it is not an easy way to doodle.

For these couple of pages, I wanted to experiment with the character Cthylla, the daughter of Cthuhlu. Sometimes she is depicted as a giant eight-eyed octopus with wings, or as a humanoid tentacle creature. She was said to be a possible bride for Hastur, so I imagined she was probably a beauty.


 
These pages were based off of warframes, from the video game Warframe with a combination of Pacific Rim's kaiju monsters. I love the deformed and inhuman look to their masks/faces.

I wanted to draw some cat or predator monsters, but I wasn't looking at any reference so it was difficult to get the animals to look right. I also wanted to try mixing the Lovecraftian tentacle beasts with kitties, and they turned out kind of goofy-- but I like them!

I think for my final post I will clean up some of my favorite drawings and ink them digitally. I'd like to make the best monsters shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment